All Tashkent residents notice the French Embassy building located at the corner of Yahyo Gulomov and Istiqbol streets—the beautiful brickwork indicates that the building is old and extraordinary.
And this is indeed the case. During the Soviet era,
School No. 60 named after Shumilov was located here, and before the revolution,
it housed the Mariinsky School for Girls.
In 1900, the Department of Industry, Science, and Trade of the State Council of the Russian Empire reviewed the "Case on the Establishment of the Mariinsky Women's School in Tashkent" and, considering the insufficient number of educational institutions for girls, decided to construct a new building.
The project was entrusted to the renowned Tashkent
architect Georgy Mikhailovich Svarichevsky.
The building opened on September 8, 1910, and the women's school, previously housed in a rented building, moved in.
Such schools existed in all provinces of the Russian
Empire and provided education equivalent to four grades; the curriculum
corresponded to that of a gymnasium. These institutions were under the
patronage of Maria Feodorovna, mother of Nicholas II, and were therefore called
Mariinsky. Girls were admitted regardless of social status or religion,
including those from low-income families.
After gaining independence, the building was transferred to France. The new owners restored it while preserving its historical appearance, landscaped the grounds, and built an ayvan in national traditions on the site.
The building is included in the list of Tashkent's
historical architectural monuments.

The 226-meter-long tourist street is located in the center of Tashkent — from the intersection wit...

The Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus began construction in 1912 on the high ba...

In 2004, next to the palace of the Grand Duke, the National Bank for Foreign Economic Activity con...
The elongated nine-story building visually “holds” the intersection of ChilanZar Street with the S...