The chimes in the square are one of the capital’s landmarks. The clocks from a destroyed town hall in East Prussia were brought by Tashkent watchmaker Alexander Eisenstein, a participant in World War II battles.
A competition was announced for the chime
tower design, won by the project proposed by architect A. A. Mukhamedshin and
chief engineer V. Levchenko. The thirty-meter tower with clocks and a beautiful
top was decorated with the participation of Usto Shirin Muradov, a renowned
ganch carver, ornamental artist, architect, and honorary member of the Academy
of Sciences of Uzbekistan.
Since May 9, 1947, the chimes have struck
every 15 minutes; Alexander Eisenstein worked as the clock caretaker until the
end of his life.
In 2009, an exact replica of the chimes
was erected nearby, making them a pair.

The Baland Mosque was built in 1857. "Baland" means "high," and the mosque received its name from t...

The Yaushev brothers, merchants from a Tatar princely family, built a trading house in 1911 based o...

Many people have noticed the beautiful round-towered building in the Ts-1 district, and many also ...

The “House of Specialists” in Tashkent was built in 1934 according to the design of A. Pavlov in th...